Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Salon

As Christmas rapidly approaches and 2011 is not too far behind, I can't help but think how fast 2010 has flown by. I guess it's true what they say: the older you are, the faster time goes by. It's quite scary when I sit down and really think about it. After reconnecting with high school friends on Facebook (most of which I also went to elementary school with), memories fill my mind of that time period. Which was years and years ago, but still seems like yesterday. At the end of the year, I always find myself walking down memory lane and reminiscing about the "good ole days". Certainly nostalgia at its best.

As quickly as I walk back into the past, I also turn around and think about the brand new year. All the possibilities it will bring. The clean, fresh slate it represents. Second chances to make things right, to fix those mistakes, learn from past lessons and to finally make those necessary changes. Excitement about the unknown and the surprises that await me in the new year. Plans and goals to create to make the new year my "best year yet".

Since September or October, I've been really thinking about my 2011 reading goals. I wanted to limit myself to challenges and am proud to say I've only signed up for two! What's in a Name 4 and 2011 eBook Reading Challenge. I'll admit that several are still tempting me and I may sign up for one or two more, but so far I'm standing strong.

In preparation for 2011, I spent an afternoon really looking at my TBR list. The idea occurred to me to break this list down even further into books I really want to read by December 31, 2011. Now this smaller list, I can work with. It's not daunting or makes me want to turn from my iMac screaming in the other direction. No. . . it's definitely doable.

So, what's on the list?
  • Majority of the titles are books from my shelves that I haven't read yet. Some are purchases from 2010 and others are purchases from. . . well, it doesn't matter when I purchased them. They're still unread.
  • Titles that my library owns that I wanted to read this year, but did not
  • New releases in 2011. I know I couldn't just stick with books published prior to 2011. So I've added new books by James Patterson, Wendy Corsi Staub, Sarah Pekkanen, Jodi Picoult and Mary Higgins Clark, just to name a few.
  • Kindle purchases since October.
Next year, I really want to read what I want, when I want to read it. Return to the days of reading without putting pressure on myself to read what everyone else is currently reading or reading a book just because I'm in the mood to read it. I need to get back to my roots and the reasons why I read.

So what are your 2011 plans? Do you have plans? Or is your plan not to have any plans?

Have a great Sunday everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment