Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Salon

I really didn't plan anything for today. I went to church this morning and came home and decided I needed a day of nothing. After I finished breakfast, I sat down to read. About an hour later, my thoughts were on the warm weather outside instead of reading. I just felt as though I needed to be outside. So, I put on my shoes, grabbed my book and my keys and walked to my running trail. I found a bench in the shade and sat down and read for about 90 minutes or so. As I got ready to leave, I took a moment to think about the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of high school. I woke up early, ate breakfast and went outside to read until my mom called me in for lunch. After lunch, I returned to my front porch until it was time for dinner. After dinner and doing my chores, I went back outside until the daylight faded and it was time for me to come inside. I did this my entire summer. I remember my parents told me to enjoy this time and to make the most of it. The new school year would bring more responsibilities and the following summer would not allow me to read everyday. That summer was definitely one of my best summers. As I started my walk home, it occurred to me that I need to find a way to do this more often.

On to my week of reading. I finished Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday. The first book in the High Heels series. I saw this book about a year ago at the library and always "meant" to read it. When it came along my path again, I decided to read it now. Overall, I really enjoyed it; I thought it was a good start to what I'm sure will be a great series. Yesterday, I checked out the second book in the series, Killer in High Heels. Starting this series, has made me think about how much I love reading series. (Hmmm, is there a theme of nostalgia here?). Since discovering the cozy mystery website, I have added more mystery series to my TBR list. Yesterday, while at the library, I decided to check out the first books in the following series: A Flower Shop Mystery (Mum's the Word), A Cooking Class Mystery (Cooking Up Murder) and Alison Bergeron Series (Murder 101). Has anyone read any books from either series? If so, what are your thoughts?

Currently, I'm reading Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin. I really like it so far. The author is very descriptive in her writing. It's so very easy to want to judge Ellen for thinking about the path she didn't take and why can't she just be content with the life she has now? However, it is hard to not sometimes wonder about the "what if" question and how different things could be (or could not be) if we made a different decision. I put off reading this book as I heard it just wasn't good, certainly not as good as the first books she wrote. For now, I would have to disagree. I'm enjoying it and find it hard to put down. I feel as though Ellen is telling me her story instead of me reading it. (This is how I felt while reading Something Borrowed, which is why I loved it so much.)

That's it from my little corner of the world. How are you spending your Sunday? Enjoy the long, holiday weekend. Until next week...

3 comments:

  1. It seems like we have common reading interests! I really enjoyed Love the One You're With and want to read Gemma Halliday's series, but haven't gotten around to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed, Spying in High Heels! Hope you like the rest of the series. I'm actually just starting on the first book in my new series. Yeah, I like series, too. :)

    My fav at the moment is Leslie Langtry's greatest hits series about a family of assassins. Her second book, Guns Will Keep Us Together was just hilarious!

    ~Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading cozy series books. I’ve been trying to get through a couple of my favorites this year – Hazel Holt’s “Mrs. Malory” mysteries, and the Betsy Devonshire “needlecraft” mysteries by Monica Ferris. Also the “Mrs. Murphy” mysteries by Rita Mae Brown and her cat Sneaky Pie. Haven’t tried the High Heels series yet, but they do sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete