Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: Spin by Catherine McKenzie

McKenzie's Spin is an engaging read about the transformation of a woman
Summary:  Kate Sanford is thirty years old, living as though she's still in college.  Her friends are all twenty-something and think she is a 25 year old graduate student.  Life hasn't exactly turned out as she had hoped.  Kate is still finding herself and making mistakes along the way.

It's fate when Kate is offered an interview on her birthday.  The night before the big day, she goes out with friends, promising herself it's just for one drink and she'll come home and prepare for the interview.  Only one drink turns into several and Kate stumbles home after dawn.  She wakes up with only minutes to dress, catch a cab and arrive to her interview on time.

It's obvious to everyone at the interview Kate is still drunk.  She's doing her best to appear lucid, but instead sounds like a babbling fool.  When the nausea hits her full force, she runs out of the interview and proceeds to vomit in the bathroom.

Needless to say Kate doesn't get the job.  A few days later the magazine calls her.  They have a proposition:  get admitted to the same rehab as Amber, the current IT Girl, write an exclusive and the position is hers.  Kate instantly agrees.

My Thoughts:  Initially when I first discovered Spin, I thought it would be a quick read.  A great way to wind down after a long work day.  Actually, Spin wasn't as light as I thought it would be.  Kate struggled with real-life issues:  insecurity, disappointment and frustration with how her life currently is, alcoholism, family issues and trust.  These themes made Spin quite the engaging read.

I enjoyed watching Kate's transformation from a carefree woman to discovering her potential.  Although her time in rehab initially was her ticket to her dream job, she used it as a way to learn more about herself and her role in her family.

Spin took me by surprise.  I adored Kate and wanted her to continue growing and moving forward with her life.  I wouldn't mind reading a "where is Kate now?" sequel!  I definitely want to read more of McKenzie's future books.  Highly recommended.

______________
Book Details:
ISBN: 9780062115355
Pub. Date: February 7, 2012
Publisher: William Morrow
Pages:  448
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Print copy borrowed from library

2 comments:

  1. I'm part of the way through Spin and I have to agree with you, I thought it was going to be much lighter than it really is. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one as well, and I'm glad you did, too!

    ReplyDelete