Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Salon

Happy 2011! A new year is here and it's a nice welcome. Not saying that 2010 was a horrible year. Yes, it had its share of ups and downs and I faced many challenges, but I have to say for the first time in years, I wasn't in a hurry to see a year end.

I am happy to see 2011 because I am expecting God to do great things in my life. I went to church this morning knowing my pastor would preach a great sermon about the start of a new year. And I was not disappointed. His sermon only validated what I know to be true.

I'm also happy for the arrival of 2011 because it will be the year I read whatever I want, whenever I want! I've only signed up for two challenges: What's in a Name 4 and 2011 eBook Reading Challenge. There are several that are so very tempting, but I've decided to read one or two books that will fit these challenges and not sign up for them.

I want to read more from my shelves. In order for me to reach this goal, I definitely have to limit my library checkouts. Which is so hard to do. I'm still thinking about how to do this so I don't set myself up to fail. To start, I'm not going to place any titles on hold until March 1. (The holds I placed in 2010 are allowed.)

Staying true to my goal, my first book for the year is The Atlas of Love, the debut novel from Laurie Frankel. It's about a grad student who learns she's pregnant and her two friends decide to help her raise the baby. I can't remember where I first saw this book, but I do remember my immediate thought was to add it to my wish list. It was one of the first books I purchased on my Kindle, however I did not read it in 2010. It was always on my mind to read, so I decided to begin the year with this one. So far, it's a great pick to begin a new year of reading.

What's the first book you plan to read in 2011? Do you think the first book will set the tone for your reading in 2011? Best wishes for a great 2011 everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Our pastor had a great sermon as well! Glad you are enjoying your first book of 2011. I started These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf this morning....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished my forst book of the year yesterday. i read Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee. It was short and impossible to put down. Good luck with your reading this year.

    ReplyDelete