Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Never Look Away - Linwood Barclay

What began as an innocent family outing, turned into David Harwood’s worst nightmare. His wife, Jan, purchased tickets to the Five Mountains amusement park. David leaves Ethan with Jan to buy ice cream. When he returns Jan informs him someone has taken Ethan. Both go in opposite directions to find their son. Luckily Ethan is found minutes later unharmed. The only problem is Jan is now missing.

So begins Barclay’s Never Look Away. When the police become involved in Jan’s case, there’s only one person of interest (read suspect) on their list: David. In order to clear his name, David must dig deep into his wife’s past. As her past starts to unravel, he begins to wonder how well did he know his wife. When he learns the shocking truth, will their marriage survive?

Barclay has been repeatedly recommended to me solely based on my love for Harlan Coben. I’ve constantly heard, “if you like Coben, then you will definitely like Barclay.” I would have to agree with this statement as I did enjoy Never Look Away and I plan to read more of his books.

While reading mysteries, I try to figure it out, piece it together as much as I can. However, with Never Look Away, I found this to be quite difficult. There are obvious things that happened that I think Barclay wanted the reader to know ahead of David to set the pace for the story. At the same time, there are twist and turns that the reader will not see coming. The pace is fast and at times I just could not put the book down. And when I did, I often thought about when I could pick it up again.

Never Look Away is the perfect read for these cold, wintry days. Just know when you start, you will not want to put it down.

____________
Book details:
Genre: Mystery/Suspense, Thriller
Pub. Date: March 9, 2010
Pages: 432
Source: Library eBook

2 comments:

  1. Very nice review, I love the twists and turns.

    I haven't tried HC but I have read another LB, will add this one to my Wishlist also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this author. I am definitely adding this one to my TBR list....

    ReplyDelete