Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm So Happy for You - Lucinda Rosenfeld

Wendy and Daphne have been friends since college. At first glance, it appears they are best friends. After spending a few minutes with them, one begins to wonder if they secretly despise each other.

Wendy functions better when Daphne is needy, helpless and a complete mess. She comes across as the caring "I would do anything to help you" kind of friend, when deep down she's thrilled that Daphne is miserable. From the beginning, I didn't like Wendy. AT. ALL. I couldn't decide if she's insecure, jealous, bitter and angry, passive-aggressive or all the above. She is so unhappy with her own life, that she can't express real joy for her friends.

Daphne feels she has to tip-toe around Wendy and continue being the "fragile" one as her life falls into place. As a result, Wendy becomes more sensitive about their friendship and feels Daphne is leaving her behind as she starts this new life. When the two friends finally have it out at Daphne's baby shower, the reader feels it is long overdue.

I'm not sure about this book. It was very hard for me to get in to as I really didn't care for any of the characters. The second half of the book was much better for me, as I managed to zip right through it. What I would have wanted to see was more of the book told from Daphne's perspective. The reader learns about Daphne through Wendy's eyes and I just wondered how tainted her description was. Alternating chapters where Daphne and Wendy both told the story would have made this more enjoyable for me.

Would I recommend I'm So Happy for You? Probably so, but with some hesitation.


Book details:
ISBN-13: 978-0-316-04450-9
Pages: 268
Year Published: 2009
Genre: Fiction
Format: Paperback
Source: Library

0 comments:

Post a Comment