Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

Good morning Saloners! Today's forecast is hot, humid and muggy! Ahhh. . .how I love hearing these words! Yes, I heart this hot, sticky, hazy weather. And tomorrow is supposed to be hotter!

This past week was a slow reading week. I finished I Can See You by Karen Rose Friday (review) and started Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner yesterday. I've read almost half and it's okay so far. I'm also listening to Jinx by Meg Cabot. I'm not so sure about it, though. It's not grabbing me as her previous young adult novels have. And, no it's not because of the narrator; I really enjoy listening to her interpretation of each character. It's just something about this story. We'll see. I want to listen a little more before deciding to abandon it.

After I finish Best Friends Forever, I plan to read Killer by Sara Shepard and Swimsuit by James Patterson. I have eagerly anticipated the release for both books so I can't wait to start reading. Amazon reviewers have rated Swimsuit 2 out of 5 stars, majority being 1 star. Despite this, I'm still looking forward to reading it. Killer, on the other hand, has received 5 out of 5 stars.

For me, book review ratings are similar to movie critics. If I want to read the book, despite having low ratings, I will still read it. Perhaps I may rate it the same, or maybe I won't. As with movies, there have been plenty of movies the critics gave glowing reviews and I stopped watching within the first 20 minutes! We all have different standards for what we consider to be "good" and "bad".

So, what about you? Do you allow the low ratings of a book to diminish your anticipation of reading it? Have you read a book that others rated low and you loved it? What about reading a book with numerous glowing reviews, only to finish reading and you did not like it all?

Have a good week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I read In the Woods by Tana French because everyone on my book board raved about it. I didn't enjoy it as much and didn't think it was the book of the year. I was wondering if there was something wrong with me because soooo many people raved about this book. Finally I found one other person who didn't like it and I felt such relief! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too finished Kill for Me by Karen Rose. I liked it a lot.

    And I also read Best Intentions by Emily Listfield, which was a rage in blog world. I didn't like it much.

    No mystery to speak of and rather predictable.

    TSS: Tommy Gun Tango by Brant Randall/Bruce Cook

    Kill Word Verification

    ReplyDelete