Sunday, August 2, 2009

Musing Mondays


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is a library habits meme. . .

1) If you don't frequent your local library, why not? N/A

2) If you do visit the library, how often do you go? Recently, I cut back my visits. I now go once or twice a week.

3) Do you have a favorite section that you always head to first, or do you just randomly peruse the shelves? The first place I go to is the holds section. Patrons are able to pick up their holds without waiting at the circulation desk. Next I head to the new releases for fiction and mystery books. I might also stop and browse the new audio books, but I don't make it a habit to do so. Then I browse the HotPick section to see what's there. These sections are right near each other, so it's pretty convenient for me to browse them first. Finally I head to the fiction, mystery and young adults sections.

4) How many books are you allowed to check out at one time? Do you take advantage of this? 50. Just once I allowed myself to reach the limit. I soon returned them all. Seeing all those books on my floor and in my account overwhelmed me. I try to limit myself to 10, however it's been close to 15 lately.

5) How long are you allowed to have the books checked out? Three weeks for regular books and two weeks for HotPick books.

6) How many times are you allowed to renew your check-outs, if at all? Regular books can be renewed 2x as long as there is not a hold on a book. HotPick books cannot be renewed. They are new releases that are available without being on a wait list. The checkout time is shorten and they aren't available for renewal.

7) What do you love best about your particular library? The location. It's close to my work so I can go during my lunch hour. This branch is where I pick up my available holds and only go Monday-Friday. The library I visit on Saturdays is closer to my house and it's bigger and newer than the other one. I like this one because it's more modern and the book selection is better.

8) What is one thing you wish your library did differently? My Saturday library is fine as is. My weekday library needs work in the librarian help department. The librarians there just aren't willing to help you search for a book. It's so frustrating to see them sit there and they will not get up from behind the desk.

9) Do you request your books via an online catalogue, or through the librarian at your branch? I request books online. Whenever I read a great review for a book, I immediately search my library's catalog to see if they own it. The great thing about putting books on hold is that I can suspend the dates. So if I have too many books out, I can suspend my hold on a particular book for a week, month, or however long I want. Then when I'm ready to read it, I can cancel the suspension and still keep my place on the wait list. I've started to use this feature more and more recently.

10) Have you ever chosen a book on impulse (from the online catalogue OR the shelves) and had it turn out to be totally amazing? If so, what book was it? The Opposite of Love by Julie Buxbaum. I discovered this while browsing the new releases and decided to check it out. It was a fantastic read, one of my favorite reads in 2008. Why did you love it? The plot and characters were real. I could relate to the main character regretting the decision she made and trying to correct her mistake.

1 comment: