Saturday, August 1, 2009

City Dog by Alison Pace

After her divorce, Amy Dodge thought she'd finally write the next Great American Novel. Instead she's now the author of a bestselling children's book series, Run, Carlie, Run! starring her adorable and spirited West Highland White Terrier, Carlie, and a dashing (but fictional) Scottish explorer, Robert Maguire. When Carlie is offered a starring role in her own television show about activities for urban canines, and Robert Maguire begins to take on a life of his own, Amy's world takes a turn toward the surreal.

As Amy finds herself getting cropped out of Carlie's many photo opportunities and unable to get the image of Robert Maguire out of he head, the city she once loved begins to lose it's appeal. But just when Amy starts to think that it's a dog's life after all, she figures out a way to make everything change. And while life in New York isn't always a walk in the park, it might just take Amy and Carlie exactly where they need to be. . .

My review:

Ok, I'll admit it. My initial attraction to this book was its cover. (Seriously, how cute is that dog??) I had seen this book several times while browsing at the book store and just decided to go ahead and buy it.

The story is mainly told by Amy, however Carlie and Robert Maguire appear as needed to share their insights about Amy's life. As much as I enjoyed reading Carlie's perspective, I didn't feel connected to Amy. I felt something was lacking about her character. I did, however, admire her devotion and concern for Carlie.

Overall, I thought it was an okay read. I just expected more from this book. I thought it would be a cute, fun read about a girl living in NYC wanting to make it big, but instead has to live vicariously through her dog. Having the book told by the three different voices was tolerable, however I think I would have enjoyed the book more if it were only Amy and Carlie. Robert Maguire's voice ruined the flow of the story for me.

I did like the ending and thought Amy would see her dreams come true in time. Although this book did not keep my interest, I still think other readers will enjoy it.

Book details:

ISBN-13: 978-0-425-22143-3
Pages: 288
Year Published: 2008
Genre: Chick Lit
Date Finished: July 31
Rating: C+

1 comment:

  1. I thought this book was really cute (with Carlie), but slow. I agree, I expected more as well.

    ReplyDelete