Monday, January 19, 2009

Musing Mondays


Reading while sick. . .

How does your being sick (or injured) affect your reading?  Do you read more?  Less?  Do you pick out a different book than you had already planned?  Do you have a "comfort book" that makes you feel better?

When I'm sick I do read. . . a lot.  I remember a few years ago, I was really sick and missed a week of work.  I spent most of that time reading.  I read eight books that week!  One of the books I read was The Shining by Stephen King.  I've always wanted to read it and I had just checked it out from the library a few days before.  Although I really liked the book, looking back I don't think it was the best choice to read while sick.  I wasn't able to sleep at night from all my coughing and, not to mention, having the book's scenes flashing in my mind didn't help either!

I don't spend a lot of time in bed when I'm sick.  I'm usually on my couch, so because I do most of reading on my couch, it's out of habit that I will pick up a book and start to read.  I don't have a comfort book to read while sick.  I just read my current book and when I'm finished I will read whatever I have on my night stand or what I've checked out from the library.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I read more when I'm sick. It's the one time my hubby and daughter tend to leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete