Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

Farewell 2008

It always surprises me how fast the holiday season comes and goes. I usually start playing my holiday music the first weekend in November and start decorating for Christmas the weekend following Thanksgiving. December quietly sneaks in and the next thing I know I'm frantically finishing the last of my cards, scrambling to buy, wrap and mail the last of my gifts while trying to enjoy the holiday season. (I'm always thinking, "I can't believe it's this time of year again!")

Next, it's Christmas Eve and I find myself packing and cleaning as I prepare for my flight home. When I arrive home, it's time for Christmas Eve service. Christmas day finally arrives and as quickly as it comes, it's gone in a blink of an eye. Just when I'm ready to sit and relax and enjoy the season, I look at the calendar and realize it's December 27th and I think, "how did I let another season pass me by?" This is something that I struggle with each year. The holiday season is my favorite time of the year, but I always end up feeling too rushed, overwhelmed, tired and taxed to enjoy it. Somewhere, somehow I missed the reason for the season. As always, I find myself caught up in hustle and bustle, the sales, the late shopping hours and just miss why we celebrate Christmas. I continue to pray that I will allow myself to calm down and focus and not be swept up in the material aspects of the season.

As the year starts to wind down, I'm starting to get excited about 2009. I have to admit, it has taken me awhile to get excited about the upcoming year. This month my thoughts have been focused on getting ready for Christmas and now that I've had a chance to finally catch my breath and start thinking about my projects and goals (I no longer do resolutions. I create projects which have goals and a purpose attached to each to help me focus on the next 12 months.), I realize that I have a lot to look forward to.

I've caught up on my reading. I read books 3-6 in the Flower Shop Mystery Series. I'm debating if I want to start reading book 7 or take a break and read something else. It has been awhile since I've read books in a series back to back. We'll see. I guess I don't have to make a decision at this moment.

I will decide, though, to make lunch and watch Serendipity. It's one of my favorite holiday movies.

Happy 2009 everyone! May it be your best year yet!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read that series Shon. Have you tried the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith? You might enjoy them. All the best for the New Year

    ReplyDelete