Saturday, June 28, 2008

Favorite Authors

Jodi Picoult
I HEART Ms. Picoult!!  Without a doubt, she is my favorite author.  Never before has an author challenged my thinking than she has.  I first saw her at a book signing for Nineteen Minutes last year (I also saw her in March for Change of Heart).  After reading My Sister's Keeper last summer, I decided I MUST read her entire collection this year.

Harlan Coben
The first book I read by Mr. Coben was Tell No One, which I loved.  I then started reading his Myron Bolitar series when I needed something new and different.  I still haven't read the entire series, but I'm working on it.  Anyway, last year I went to his book signing for The Woods and walked away with MAD respect for him.  He is so funny!!!  Don't be fooled by his serious book jacket picture... he was so laid back and very personable.  If you ever get the opportunity to attend his book signing... GO!!!!  You won't be disappointed!!

Mary Higgins Clark
I started reading her books the summer before my junior year in high school.  I loved her so much, that I spent the entire summer reading all her books.  I met her at a book event in Washington, DC and I was just in awe!  When it was my turn for her to sign my book, I just had a goofy grin on my face!  I didn't know what to say to her.  Although she told me she liked my name, which only made me grin even more and after I walked away, I then thought of all the things I should have said.

Wendy Corsi Staub
Ms. Staub is great for suspense.  She has a million characters in her books, but somehow manages to tie them to the plot.  I'm pretty impressed with that.  She reminds me of Mary Higgins Clark, so I knew she would quickly become one of my favorite authors.  

Emily Giffin
I read Something Borrowed on a whim.  Just caught my eye and decided, why not?  I loved this book!  I felt like I was reading about my friends.  I quickly became hooked on her books.  I'm looking forward to reading Love the One You're With this summer.

James Patterson
My first book of his was Hide and Seek.  I thought it was really good, however I didn't read another book by him until years later.  My cousin told me I HAD to read Kiss the Girls, however she neglected to tell me 1) it's part of a series and 2) it's the 2nd book of the series.  So, after I realized it's part of the Alex Cross series, I was hooked and hooked on JP.  Alex Cross is my favorite series (and I also enjoy The Women's Murder Club) and every November I anxiously wait for the next book.  I haven't read his earlier works (I do have a goal to read his entire collection), however I've read most of his current books.  I do have to admit, after reading some of them, I thought.... "Um, ok...not quite sure about this one." But, I still like him and will continue to read his books.

It's my hope that this list will continue to grow.  I'm always looking for a new author to read.  As I discover new favorites, I will update this post.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shon! I'm honored to see my name listed amid such esteemed authors. Thank you so much for the enthusiasm for my novels! Visit me at www.wendycorsistaubcommunity.com to read my blog, see my photos, and get the story behind the story of DYING BREATH, my latest! Thanks again! Wendy Corsi Staub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shon! Thanks for reading my blog...I try to keep up on yours as as well! We have similar tastes! Jodi Picoult has always been one of my favorites as well. I loved her even before she became as popular as she is now...which I think is wonderful! She always gets me at the end...I never know what to expect and for someone who reads as much as I do..that can be hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    try Vikas Swarrup's books.
    There are only 2 books from him.

    1. SLumdog Millionaire (aka Q&A)

    2. Six suspects...

    ReplyDelete