Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday Salon

Hi Saloners!!! I can't believe it's Sunday again! This summer is just going by too quickly for me. Although, I am happy about the upcoming long weekend. My reading was pretty good this week. Today I finished It Only Takes a Moment by Mary Jane Clark. Later today, I will post my review. Overall, I thought it was a good read. The chapters were short and the suspects were plenty.

I also finished listening to Sisters by Danielle Steele. This was just an okay read, nothing special and easy to forget. It has taken me some time to finally enjoy listening to audio books. I think my first attempt at listening to an audio book was 4-5 years ago. I just couldn't stay focused. My mind wandered, I started doing other activities and eventually forgot I was listening to a book. When I tuned back in, I had no idea who the characters were and what was going on. I tried again several times after that with the same result.

Last year, I tried it again and it finally clicked. I think it may have to do with the type of book I decide to listen to (it was The Men I Didn't Marry by Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schnurnberger) and the narrator. I did listen to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and thought Jim Dale did a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. Definitely a narrator can make or break an audio book for me.

Anyway, back to Sisters. I'm not sure if it was the narrator or the story or both. It just wasn't gripping. Some parts were good, however some parts were, well.... not. The ending just wrapped up to nicely for me. Actually, what drove me crazy was the repetitive information and the overuse of the word "and". It seemed as though every sentence started "And she did this..." "And they went here..." "And, and, and!!" Luckily for me, I mostly listened to it on my commute to and from work, so if I did tune out, I really didn't miss much because sooner or later, it would repeat itself again.

I also learned I will received another Early Reviewer's copy of Hell Bent by William G. Tapply from LibraryThing. So, this will be my 3rd Early Reviewer's copy. I received my first about a week ago and I'm still waiting for the second to arrive. I'll have to add them both to my TBR pile.

After I do a few things around the house and prepare for the work week, I will start reading Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday. I've been wanting to read this series for awhile, so I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone else read it? If so, thoughts? I'm always looking for a good series.

Well, Saloners, have a good afternoon. Until next week...

0 comments:

Post a Comment